Off The Wall

Monday, August 23, 2004

I Love the Olympics!


Gold Medal here we come!!! Posted by Hello

Today the U.S. Women's soccer team defeated Germany in the semifinal round of the Olympics. The match went into overtime and luckily we came out on top. Thursday we will take on Brazil (whom we've already played and beaten this tourney) for the GOLD medal. I have to say, I become quite emotional when watching the Olympics. I'm not one to be all patriotic or anything, but man, when I hear our national anthem playing while standing on a podium Above all the other athletes, I can't help but feel proud. I've heard critics say, 'well It's not you up there, why do you care so much.' Well, it's not that I am proud of myself, it's being proud for them, for sport, for our country and for dreams. I think if I look into it a bit more, I would probably have to say that I am more proud for the sport. For the competitiveness. To be able to say that you are the best in the world for that sport...That's got to be a great feeling. I can't imagine a more elated moment than that. I've even got a bit teary-eyed for the Iraq soccer team. These guys no longer have to be afraid for their lives if they miss a goal. They are free to compete at whatever level they want. And with that they have made the semifinals of the Olympics. You can't help but be proud of them. Carly Patterson, Paul Hamm, Michael Phelps, the women's 200 meter IM relay, the women's softball team, the soccer team. I've proudly cried at each one of their accomplishments. Hell, I even cried for the first medal given of the Olympics, a Chinese Air Rifle Shooter, Yifu Wang. This old guy was up there on the podium and the longer his anthem played the more tears came to his eyes. Indeed, he was proud of himself and proud to represent his country. And I sat right there with him, crying, proud. Proud for Sport.

I Love the Olympics.

Quote for the Day:
"The rewards are going to come, but my happiness is just loving the sport and having fun performing." ~Jackie Joyner Kersee


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home